Friday, August 26, 2016

On the way to Girdwood, Alyeska Ski resort

Aug. 26 Day 27
Well I had a very bad night in Whittier, no rain but the wind was shaking the RV so bad I thought it was going to tip over soon therefore I am very crabby today.
We really did like Whittier.  It is a working town just like many seaside towns. During WWII the government built the tunnel and the town to supply the Army and Navy to fight the Japanese, when the war ended the military pulled out,  so now we have a town that can't sustain itself so the gov. helps and then the pipeline adds revenue.  The Gov. subsidizes the ferry system and aids these towns too. Thanks for the oil, that and tourism (cruise ships) keeps Alaska afloat.  Took more beautiful photos and then headed out through that big tunnel.
We went to Girdwood to the Alyeska Ski resort to ride the tram, but first we stopped at the Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center for injured and orphaned animals.  Lots of animal shots and lots of walking.  Remember now NO Lunch and I'm tied so I'm telling Dom I'd like to do the tram tomorrow; but Nooooo he meets some couple with the same motorhome and my wishes are out the window.  They are going up the tram now so we are too.  Then they're going to climb a mountain to see 7 more glaciers. That is when I put the brakes on and I'm not going anywhere.  I want to go home to my little nest and eat and rest.  He went up the mountain without me and I sat in a deli at the top of the mountain fuming.  Oh forgot one thing, the guy that drove the shuttle gave us free tickets to the Tram so Free means we have to go today, only good for one day.  I told you I was crabby.  Sorry but I am just about glaciered out.  Oh one more good thing I forgot, it's a sunny day.
We are staying in the parking lot at the Alyeska ski resort, OK by me just give me my pillow.
Harbor in Whittier
Blue glacier, turquoise water and mountains, this is Alaska
rock walls in the tunnel
talk about a hole in the wall restaurant
Ferry making it's many stops along the marine highway
entrance to the tunnel, it's the train's turn
Musk Ox it's fur is 8 times warmer then wool
The difference between a Lower 48 bison and a Wood bison
on the Tram in Girdwwood at the sky resort, the shadow is the tram moving

7 glacier mountain from the tram at Alyeska Sky Resort

No comments:

Post a Comment